We’re very excited to announce our 2015 Writer-in-Residence, Shya Scanlon! Shya is the author of FORECAST, and his forthcoming novel, THE GUILD OF ST. COOPER will be released Spring 2015 from Dzanc Books.
Thanks to everyone who made the 2015 Fundraiser a resounding success! If you’d like to get involved with APRIL, or if you’d like to make a charitable donation, please click the Donate tab at left. Thank you!
Thanks to everyone who donated to our 2015 Fundraiser. It was a huge success—we couldn’t do this festival without you.
APRIL is under the fiscal sponsorship of Shunpike, a Washington 501©3.
If you’d like to make a donation to APRIL, you can do so here. Thank you!
is to connect readers with independent literature and the authors and publishers of this relevant and vitalizing work.
As motivation for our programming, APRIL envisions:
- an increase in readers seeking out writing that is new and pertinent to them—writing that takes chances in both publication and performance and has greater potential for relevance in their lives;
- readers actively reconsidering their definition of literature, its forms and its position in the arts;
- independent literary producers—authors, publishers and writers of all kinds—thriving, with increased publicity and heightened reader engagement;
- a reading public connecting as a more interactive social body—one that encourages creation and collaboration.
- literature as an indispensable element of our shared culture;
- writing that takes risks, strikes out on a new path, negotiates from its own rubric, and speaks to a greater need;
- the multiplicity of today’s literary arts–how literature manifests itself in books, online, hand-crafted chapbooks, zines, collaborative writing projects, conceptual readings, interpretive performances, and more;
- creative possibility as a quality that sustains the literary arts and encourages growth;
- unique, personal, and meaningful literary experiences that feed enthusiasm and promote active engagement and literacy;
- communication as a crucial and gratifying element of human interaction.
Whether you’re a small press, an author looking to read or just a curious bibliophile, we’d love to hear from you!
Caitlin Smelser, Emily Wittenhagen, James Ganas, Hannah Clark, Justin Duffus, Richard Chiem, Bill Doerfield, & Lillian Nickerson.
Extra-double-shoutouts to the wonderful photo/video wizards Leighan Schreiber, Colleen Zickler, Dylan Haydu, Rachel Robinson, and Cassie Bell. Sparkle Leigh earns a special commendation for make-up application in the line of fire.
Channing Redford & Jim Braddock, Ben Blum, Lillian Nickerson, Hollis Hill, Kellen Braddock, Rahel Tesfahun, William J Graham, Susan Fitzgerald, Patricia Dinger, Anne Michelson, Kim Selling, Nancy Cassanova, Chris Burlingame, Leighan Schreiber, Matt Nelson, Catherine Graham, Kenny Coble, Lacey Jane, Darren Focareta, Ross McMeekin, Sierra Stinson, Cara Beth Rogers, Amber Nelson, Ed Skoog, Bernardo Malfitano, Tim Hayden, Alison, Kelly Froh, Catie Young, Spike Friedman, Nicholas Stokes, Kate Lebo, James Ganas, Publishing Genius, Jerry Richard, Jake Uitti, Diana Salier, Alex J. Parton, Brittany Dennison
Brittany Dennison, Channing Redford, Susan Graham, Alan Bransted, Peter Kane, Penelope Mitchell, Karen Allman, Patricia Dinger, Benjamin Blum, Darren Davis, Bruce Holbert, Richard Vanderknyff, Everett Ehrlich, Greg Flores (and all of HOARSE), Summer Robinson, Nancy Casanova, Hannah Clark, Edmund Zagorin, Bryan Ohno, Lauren Davis, Hollis Hill, Kelly Froh, Bill Carty, Chris Prandoni, Matthew Simmons, Nancy Ramsey, Christine O’Connor, Rebecca Brown, Greg Bem, Kelly Roesing, Samuel Moss, Ramzy Suleiman, Edward Wolcher, Nate Sloan, Cheri Walters, Matt Nelson, Ava Cole (Ms. Meow Meow), Lauren Othon, Kerri Ladish, Zachary Schomburg
2013 APRIL Salon Donors:
Lauren Davis, Justin Duffus, Jeremy Springsteed, Willie Smith, Kellen Braddock, Jay Yenkich, Ava Cole, Nicole Bernard, Sam Moss, Calvin Pierce, Richard Chiem, Alan Bransted, Thomas Walton, Jessica Severance, Aidan Fitzgerald, Joseph Lambert, Adam Boehmer, Jamie, Sarah Lloyd, Elizabeth Cooperman, Brittany Dennison, Marlin Standingfish, Frances McCue, Garth Brewe, Rich Smith, Alex Garland
In our first year, we raised more than $5000 via Kickstarter, all thanks to our incredibly generous donors.
APRIL graciously thanks:
Marie Slaight, joshuA, Aidan Fitzgerald, Anthony Fleming, readlearnwrite, Rick VanderKnyff, Kate Sullivan, Jeffrey Simmons, Susan Graham, Ken Austin, Kara Marie Cooperrider, Stephanie Pereira, Lauren Davis, Neil Ferron, Jessica Massart, Jamey Braden von Mooter, Lynne Nugent, Flying Object, Diane Cook, Darian Gee, Melissa Gira Grant, Scott Burau, Dennis Yang, Stone Soup Theatre, Charles Alvis, Jeff James, Katie Seling, Gretchen Kolderup, Lloyd Cargo, Matt Rowe, Michael Lieberman, Katie Woodzick, Rebecca Meredith, Charles Karasek, Jenny Hayes, Futurepoem, Kelly Carlos, Brittany Dennison, Claire Fox, Gregory Laynor, Dan Brady, Jennifer Abel Kovitz, Amy Helen, Joy Ralph, Lys Ruben Blanc, Edward Mullany, Stephen Dossick, Peter Olson, Pietro Conforto Bardellini, Courtney Johnson von Nieda
APRIL has been lucky enough to work with some amazing organizations in Seattle and beyond. Thank you to: